Welcome to Compose. There's lots of stuff here, all about composing paintings.

Current entries appear in Dianne's weekly newsletter.




Monday, March 14, 2016

An Inner Reveal

Today I'm sharing with you glimpse of my private world, the life of my sketchbooks.  Over the seven decades of being an artist and teacher of art, I have filled dozens.  Not all have survived.  Two of my favorites were stolen, but none of that matters today.  What's important is that these thousands of pages reflect moments of presence, moments when I explored with drawing, painting and writing reflections of my inner world.

A lot of the time, it's within the sketchbook that I work out ideas for a painting...

 

...or for teaching a lesson.

 

At other times, I explore with notans  scenes I see around me.  (You can sit in one spot and find dozens of paintings!)

Or I write notes to myself or find solutions to some dilemma.  I often hide poetry within these pages.

I  love baseball, so often I'll do gesture drawing of the players while I'm watching a game.

And I do many, many quick studies.

My sketchbooks are my home.  They are where I live the most intimate moments of my art.  While with them, there is no censorship, rather only the most authentic moments of my artistic life.

1 comment:

Studio at the Farm said...

Thank you so much, Diane, for this look at your inner creative thoughts. I enjoyed it!
Kathryn